I had come to this conclusion while still in Los Angeles, before I even got here.
That cars are often overrated.
Not always, though. Not when you know where you're going and you know the rules of the road.
And how to read the signs.
And as long as you know the rules of the the non-existent signs as well, you'll do fine.
And you'll probably enjoy your car.
I enjoy my car. When it's midnight and I'm driving on a street that is absent of tram tracks and German cars flying past at unmentioned speeds.
This is why I came to the conclusion that cars are overrated: yesterday I was brought to tears.
Because I got lost the entire day LONG!!
And I can count on one hand how many things I accomplished when I'm used to, being an overachiever at times, ticking several things off my daily "To Do Lists."
I was brought to tears because I was hopelessly lost.
But as it turns out I wasn't far from my destination.
Except that I started out going to the completely wrong place! And got lost getting there.
Then I got lost going to the right place!
I had a plan and I was going to get my work visa paperwork completed. I was with a friend who was going to help translate and navigate the German government that I had to deal with. And we both are new to Berlin so at least I had company. He doesn't drive. I think I'm beginning to understand why!
Well, since we went to the wrong place first, then went to the right place only to find ourselves about 300 people from the beginnig of any of the queues, we had to abandon our mission and I dropped him back home. Then I had to make it to work from my new apartment for the first time and I got lost!! I didn't have my map reader/2nd pair of eyes!
What should have taken me about 45 minutes I'm guessing, took over 2 hours!!
A man yelled at me because I didn't give him the right of way at an intersection.
I asked him to at least yell at me in English so I could understand. That was dumb of me.
"You didn't stop!"
"But there was no STOP or YIELD sign," I said.
There was nothing. But he said you're supposed to do it. "Right first! I write your number to the police"
True, there was no sign, but I'm supposed to stop at the intersections. Right?
But not every intersection is a stop... I don't think.
Another person was honking at me for stopping! What the hell?!!!
I don't know! And that's what made me frustrated!!
I've been driving since I was 16 years old and now I don't know when to stop or yield.
So, I made it to work and got in 4 hours and then got to watch Germany beat Portugal at soccer.
I wanted to be happy for my host country but some people have been mean to me! :(
It felt good to park my car last night. I'll be happy to take the trains and trams for a while and then I'm sure I'll miss that cute little car!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment