Another trip to Ireland, and Dublin for that matter is in order! I'm barely back from this trip (which was very short trip.)
It was quite nice, the few hours I spent in the Irish city. The first thing I noticed as Marion and I were taking the bus into the city centre was that the cars drive on the opposite side of the street! I had completely forgotten that. It's strange how funny it looks too. It was almost shocking to me to look up at a car and NOT see someone where the driver should be.
The other thing I noticed were the really groovy looking doors on many of the houses. I love the bright primary colors - the reds, blue and my personal favorite was the bright sunshine yellow doors with the knob in the middle.
The other thing I noticed was that it was DAMN cold! Brrrrrrrr! And it was a lingering cold. I know why people are inclined to drink. To try to get rid of the chill! But that did not prepare me for the number of people who were completely obnoxiously drunk in the streets. I even saw a guy with blood on the side of his head from what I assumed to be a gash he got from a beer bottle or something.
I also saw an older guy in the face of two cops (one female) yelling, "Why you gotta give me a hard time? Huh?" Hummmmm...
It now makes perfect sense why so many restaurants, convenience stores (Spar) and pubs (we only stayed in one) have security guards at the door. Even more than in LA! That still doesn't explain the blatant rudeness of several guards who either would not look us in the eye as we asked them questions or who had complete attitude with us. Poor Marion, I'm sure they thought she was American too even though I'd say she looks like she could be Irish. But because she was with me they likely assumed she was American as well. And I'm guessing that wherever they are from (most security guards were not native Irish) they don't like America.
Anyway, that's all the other silly stuff. The things that I liked are the beautiful old buildings. The history you can imagine just by looking at them. I really liked walking along the River Liffey regardless of the cold. And the first thing we did was really nice. We went to Trinity College and saw the Book of Kells and the Library.
AMAZING!! I would love to have a library HALF as majestic as that one! So beautiful to look at! Oh, and I had Turkish Delight for the first time! It was really nice. I had rose, coconut and one with hazelnuts & coconut. It wasn't too sweet nor too chewy.
I didn't see anything green to speak of except for an inexpensive sweater that I considered buying. So I can't really say that I "experienced the Emerald" which is why I have to go back and check out one of the museums (closed for renovation) and definitely make it out to the countryside.
That's what I'd enjoy!
Hugs,
L
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment