Tuesday, September 16, 2008

In pursuit of the evasive ZZZZZs

It’s been a little challenging lately with coughing and sneezing people all around, my average of about 6 hours of sleep a night and the big drop in temperature.

I’m trying to adjust my attitude and make the best out of the next 5 ½ weeks. Mind you, work started out a little slow but has picked up tremendously and those sometimes barely 6 hours of sleep is nowhere near enough to make up for the amount of activity that I’m engaged in during the 15-17 hours of work. (That includes driving to and from the studio, walking 3 big, active dogs, checking emails and relaying messages which also means driving between the studio and the office to GET the internet. Getting lunch for CA then driving him to editorial, making phone calls, faxing, researching, setting appointments, delivering messages, making sure CA has water on set, especially now that he’s sick, shopping when necessary, etc.)

That list is just for those who wanted to know what my job is.
Anyway, in between all of that running around and sitting in the cold and dark corner of the stage/warehouse on stand-by, I often get to talk to other crew members and watch them working and it’s really nice to see most everyone put such care and attention into their job.

That’s been a nice thing for me to focus on, getting to watch the guys who created the movie monsters. I’ve been able to hang out with them some on the weekends and they really are having fun with their jobs. Today I watched as one of the prop guys added movie blood to on of the weapons. You gotta love that. Movie blood. Such fun!

That’s great to see.
So, I have fun with parts of my job.
Actually, most of my job I enjoy, its just that I get grumpy very quickly with a lack of sleep. And I’m a person who needs my 8 hours sharp! No more no less - in general.
I also don’t like feeling stressed and can only take so many quick changes to the plans I usually take care in making.

So, other than a few hiccups that I’ve had to deal with, I am still finding things to appreciate about my job. And I hope that if I ever appear to not be as involved and attentive to my tasks as those around me still are, that I will do myself the favor and make a change.
Whatever that may be, whether it’s just that I need a holiday or sleep (like this week), or perhaps it’ll be time to change my vocation.
I am actually anticipating that day coming soon anyway because I’d rather be the Director/Actor/Writer than the Assistant anyway!
So, in the meantime, there’s stuff to be learned while I’m here.

I think I’m getting a couple of lessons right now. Sitting in the dark like a wanna-be vampire.

Another quick side note: I realize that my understanding of German is slowly but surely coming through. We had to swap out the car last week because as I was parked waiting for Christian to get in the car a woman passing got too close to me and knocked the mirror off! Anyway, the new car has a broken cd player so I’ve been forced to listen to the radio. It’s ok, there’s a station that plays stuff that I like. And as I listen to the news and weather and all of the djs, I’m really surprised at the amount of conversation I’m catching. Still there are gaps in the vocabulary which means that I’m missing things still, but I’m really catching more and certainly more than when I first got here 3 months ago! I was completely lost if the person didn’t speak English. Now, I’m piecing things together.
Sehr cool!
A sense of humour helps as well!

No comments: