Monday, September 22, 2008

Weekend with a Friend from LA


So, this is the weekend that my friend Daphne visited me. And did we have an adventure. Actually we had all of the "fun" on Saturday and had quite a relaxing Sunday.

First of all Daphne was not feeling so well, so she was happy with the idea of sleeping in. I didn't get to sleep nearly as long as I would have liked but that was the trade off for having the entire day off. I had to drop the car for the boss to have to drive himself. So after we slowly meandered out of my apartment late afternoon, we went to Shönehauser Allee and Kastianien Allee for some *shopping*!

I actually did find a coat that I liked at this cute little place called God Bless You. Interesting name for a clothes shop. I didn't get it because I wanted something just a tiny bit different. So, I know I can go back in search of it if I want before the real cold arrives.

Anyway, Daphne found some cute clothes, most of which were from a boutique right around the corner from my apartment. I HAVE to go back there and snatch up this cute little purple dress that's in the window!

We ate at this nice little Indian restaurant with upside down McD's symbol. One of the guys here told us about it. It was pretty good.

Then we went out with a few of the crew to a little pub. We almost got side-tracked by a renegade bus driver who turned out to be a jerk who when we asked for directions told us very "helpfully" that we needed to get on the bus and go where he was going. But I wasn't convinced so we called one of my crew members and also asked a couple of people on the bus who said we were had actually started out just a few blocks away from our destination. What an ass that driver was! So we had to hop off the bus and take a taxi back! I can't believe people sometimes!

Anyway, that was mini-adventure number 1.

After we left the pub, mini adventure number 2 started. We left Ankerklause pub with a couple of co-workers who said they were going dancing and that is what we wanted to do. So we went to the first place which was not far from my side of town and looked promising. But, the queue was too long for the guys and we didn't even have a chance to get out of the taxi before we were off to the next place.

This turned out to be a dud but we didn't realize it until after the taxis had already pulled away! So we had to walk (it's still pretty damn cold here) to the other club that the guys knew about.
After about 20 minutes of walking we came upon a huge area that looked quite dark and idustrial. As we are walking across the sand we are met by a security guard with a German shephard! Apparently we were not supposed to be walking there and instead of crossing back the way we came the guys asked if we could take a short cut because we were just going "over there." He finally agreed and that short cut turned out to be climbing a freakin' 8 ft. high wire fence!!! I was wearing a skirt and tights thanks to the cold but almost said "screw this!" right then and there. But I seemed to be the lone protester -everyone else laughed it off so I took a deep breath and climbed.

After everyone had to take a pee break in the bushes (all but me because I ran inside and went at the "dud" spot) and we walked another 2 minutes, we were finally at our destination where we were met with ANOTHER freaking queue!!!
After all of this crap we could have been dancing already at the other place. But, we waited and had to fight off cutters in the massive line. Daphne and Larena, the American chicks in Berlin don't play that cutting mess! We had to show a little attitude and get our original places back. And I was still miffed about having to scale a fence with a security guard and German shepherd breathing down my neck!

Finally we got to the door, where we were just in time to see the meanest looking chiseled faced guy toss a woman out of the club for cutting the line and saying that her name was on the list. He roughly shoved her away from the door and gave her a tounge-lashing that I was glad I didn't understand. But I was so curious as to her offense I had to ask what she got booted for.

Next it was our turn. At this point I REALLY didn't want to go into this club that looked quite like an old library or historical building of some sort. But again we thought we'd give it a try, it might be worth it. Another mean looking guy, this one with a tattooed face was the first person we passed on our way to get our bag and BODY SEARCH!!!
I have never, ever gone into a club where I had to get a body, full on mind you, body search. A line for the women and one for the men. More thorough than what they do at the airport.

So after Daphne had to check her camera (we found out later the search was primarily for cameras) and we paid our 12 Euros, we followed the gang to the first level, then the second level. Then we stood there waiting for the music to get better. I've never felt so out of place, so after about 30 minutes or so listening to the indistinguisable thump of house/whatever music Daph and I decided to take a taxi right back home! Without dancing once.

That was Saturday.

Sunday was much more relaxed. We explored my neighbohood of Prenzlauer Berg. We went to Fettnaf a cool place that serves fries and stuff in paper cones. That's it. Nur pommes. But here's a place that serves that wild boar you were looking for, Damian! Wild boar and french fries! What a combination.

I didn't eat the boar needless to say. I had the fish & fries. So did Daphne.
It was a cute place, then we walked down the street to Anna Blume for dessert and coffee after our fish & fries lunch. Then we found a spa that's also walking distance from my place and each decided to have a massage.
That was very nice and a bit different as well.

Everyone was just lounging around in towels or robes. Some were just naked. Men and women. A couple even had their child there. It was interesting. We just went to our rooms and each had our massages. We had to take turns waiting for the other because there was one masseur working - Udo.

After that we found this great turkish restaurant called Mabi I think...I have to find it again b/c it was good. Very cozy, we sat on the floor and had a very nice (and emotionally cathartic) dinner. Great conversation about Goddesses and life and the script that we are going to write for ourselves to act in!! It's a fun gun comedy! Just catching up and reconnection and venting a little.
A very nice evening and a very nice visit. Sunday was definitely more my speed! If there were shops open to shop we would have.

So now Daphne's on her way to the last leg of her trip - Denmark. It was really nice having a friend from LA here. Sehr cool!
And guess what I saw again today? Yep, another LADYBUG!! Sehr, sehr cool! :)

Now, getting ready for the next pal to visit from the US.
Yay! :)

No comments: