Saturday, November 8, 2008

Mr. OBAMA is President!!!

For the first time in 8 years I have a President of my home country that I can more easily admit I'm from!
For the first time in my lifetime, my home state voted Democratic!!
I had hoped and prayed that Barack Obama would win the election and he DID!!!

It was quite a night! I had fallen asleep around 1:45 am but then woke up, literally at 5am, just in time to see CNN declare Obama the winner of the election. I had fallen asleep with the tv on and and heard loud cheering which woke me up so I was up for McCain's concession speech, the comments from the newscasters and images of people AROUND the WORLD as people cheered, and then the very inspirational speech that my new President gave!!!

Anyone who knows me, knows that I never voted for Bush (either one, but especially not the one who stole the election) and I never accepted him as my leader. Who could follow someone who expresses himself the way he does?

So, it is such a wonderful thing to be HAPPY about the person that I voted for (a week long task) from all the way over here and to be hopeful! In so many ways.
I can't help but look at him and the way he expresses himself and his family and the way they conduct themselves and I am SO happy and hopeful and inspired!
Because as much as it doesn't dictate my choice, it is meaningful that his face is brown and he and his family represent the America, the beautiful brown and multi-racial family and experience that I have. His family and his story are coming so much closer to my life experiences in America so far and that is WONDERFUL!!!

It feels good, it is a good day!
I have to admit, I kept looking at Obama's eyes to try to gauge his reactions to all of this and just as he mentioned in his speech he seems to be well aware and almost weighted down with the enormous tasks that are there waiting to welcome him in the position! Whew! But I am very willing to do my part! That really resonated with me, the way he challenged US to all get involved. Because as his campaign said for the past 2 years, and as he said that night "YES WE CAN!!!" We can! And We MUST! That's the leader I wanted!!!

I'm back home in a month, so it will be something to come back to a new and fresh energy in the air!
That's one Inauguration that would be great to attend!
Let's see what happens there.

It's really amazing though that Barack Obama's getting elected President of the United States represents so much for so many people. I could write more about why I'm so inspired by his getting the job. It goes beyond what the country needs. To me, he represents some fundamental truths that we as humans (of any nationality and race) can learn.
Just take a look at him when he speaks and take a look at photos and I think you can see what I'm talking about.
You tell me what YOU think!

Happy, happy!

No comments: